Friday, July 24, 2009

What will our answer be?

I know that I've read Matthew 16:15-16 a hundred times before, if not more, but it really, really spoke to me this week so I thought I'd share my thoughts with you. Here are the verses from the NKJV translation of the Bible:

Matthew 16:15-16
"He said to them, "But who do you say that I am? Simon Peter answered and said, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."

As I was reading these words and pondering this portion of scripture the Holy Spirit whispered to me, "Who do YOU say that I am? Do you confess Me before the people you encounter every day?"

Whoa!!!!! I was stopped dead in my tracks! On the first part of the question, my answer was emphatically "You are the great I AM; my Savior; the Son of God; the One that I love above all others." The second part of the question gave me pause because I had to be brutally honest and confess that I don't do a great job of confessing Him in front of all the folks I come in contact with on a daily basis. Now, I don't mean that I try and hide the fact that I'm a christian because nothing could be further from the truth. However, oftentimes, I don't go out of my way to share Christ with the cashier at the gas station or grocery store, the lady that owns and runs the used book store that I go in all the time, the lady at the little taco stand where I go and get fish tacos when the craving hits me. These are the folks that He was asking about and I had to confess that I hadn't shared Christ with them and was failing at my job as a christian. Since then, I've been under deep conviction and trying to make a more concerted effort to share Christ with the "everyday" folks I come in contact with.

I've also been wondering what your response would be if the Holy Spirit asked you these questions? Would you answer the first one as emphatically as I did or would there be hesitation? Would you find yourself in a place, as I did on the second question, to confess that you don't share Christ with the "everyday" folks you come in contact with?

I love people that love Jesus BUT Jesus calls me to love those that don't love Him and would answer the first question in such a way that told me they had no idea who He is. They can only hear and have the opportunity to answer the first question positively if I confess Him before them every hour or every day for the rest of my life.

So, my challenge to us all is to make an intentional contact and share Christ this coming up week. That may sound simple but, I assure you, it is not. I'd like anyone who does this to share their experience by commenting on this post. I'll be doing this same thing and we'll just see what happens!

I love you all and and praying for you all!

Have a safe and wonderful weekend!

Love to all in Christ,
Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment